Friday, October 20, 2006

The Old Days (I am not too sure of the 'Good' part)

ok, I am slacking away although I know I have quite a bit of work to do. oh man. But, I feel like typing this down.

I was at my friend's blog and reading that person's past entries just now. You know, certain periods of time in the past carry some particular significance in me. It was interesting to read what was going on in my friend's life during the time when I was enlisted into the army, clearing my leave during National Service (NS) and being released from NS. Yeah, it's just a strange feeling I have got just now. Not only just now, but bits and pieces along the way.

When I was serving NS, I just couldn't wait to be released from service. We have a term for that and it's 'ORD'. yeah, ORD seemed like the ultimate goal in every serviceman's heart and we just couldn't wait to live our lives outside of NS. All the freedom and stuff like that.

But now, when I look back, there is this sense of nostalgia in me. Of course, I am NOT saying I want to go back there again. But those two years and two months were memorable. It pulled my heartstrings a bit whenever I think about my days in the army. It wasn't enjoyable, but I was there, living two years and two months of my life there, doing those stuff for two years and two months, being in that culture and environment for two years and two months. (I deliberately added two months, because I really did two years and two months of National Service and also to emphasise that yes, two months in National Service is a considerable period of time.)

yeah....haha....But I like being a civilian. I like it that way. haha. As much as I know that it is every citizen's (male citizen, in this aspect) responsibility to serve his country, I like being a civilian. But I guess these memories of the time I spent in NS will stay with me for a very long time. And yes, I think I like it that way too. hmmmm....Maybe I will share them with my children in the future. (that's if I get married. And don't read too much into that.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home