Sunday, September 17, 2006

Just Smile!

I was driving home a few days ago and I was entering this two-way road with houses on both sides, and in front of me, about less than a minute drive away, was the back-door to the condominium where I live in. I think one house was under renovation along that road. Under usual conditions where there is nothing obstructing the flow of traffic on the road, that road is pretty narrow, the breath of it will be just slightly more than the breath of two cars. yes, it gets uncomfortable when you see a car coming in the opposite direction and you sort of have the feeling of just being able to squeeze through with just a little bit of lee-way.

yep, so what happen on that day was that I think a small part of the opposite lane was cordoned off and this construction worker was standing in my path on the road. So I slowed down, but I didn't horn at him. I think I have only used my car horn once and that was on accident. I really don't like horning at others on the road, unless it is necessary to warn a vehicle of possible danger. yep, we should just try to be friendly and accomodating on the roads. The reason I used the word 'try' is because I, sometimes get a little bit irritated when driving. But I feel it's not correct. I mean it's just bad for the soul.

So I was approaching this constriction on the road slowly (because one part of the opposite lane was cordoned off) and this construction worker sort of realised that he was in my way and he moved away to the side to let me pass. And as my vehicle went pass beside him, I looked at him and I smiled. I really smiled and remain in that expression for a couple of seconds (I didn't time.) and you know what? He smiled back at me.

How would you react in such a situation if you were me? Would you start horning at him and ask him to get lost? Maybe add a few vulgarities here and there to spice up the language?

I mean, I am not trying to blow my own trumpet here, but can a smile light up a person's day? Could that be possible? Maybe he was thinking 'what is this guy smiling at me for?' Or maybe he was thinking 'man, he looks funny.' He could be smiling for a number of reasons, which I don't know. But is there a remote possibility that he was reciprocating my smile with a smile? Is it possible that this incident made his day better?

I seriously do not have the answer. But I think as much as possible, I would not want to resist flashing a smile at someone. You'll never know, I might make someone's day a little bit more bearable among all the work, lessons and assignments. Could someone take me as a fool for smiling? hmmm...I don't know, but I guess I am willing to take that risk. It should be worth it. :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home